Thursday, August 11, 2011

Magnetic LeTTers

 Back yonder when I lived in Arizona and taught in the hugely (is that even a word?..well whatever I'm using it and I don't care) Hispanic populated schools. I had my students make words from bigger words or just make words from letters that I would cut out of an alphabet puncher that I have. I even bought a book called "Making Words." It was a book for grades 4 and up.  This book isn't my book but close to it. I am thinking of purchasing it off of Amazon.  Doing an activity like this gave my ELL's hands on activities so they could manipulate letters into words. It is great for all levels.
Making Words Fourth Grade: 50 Hands-On Lessons for Teaching Prefixes, Suffixes, and Roots

I saw this project on another blog and I STOLE it. Ya, I am a stealer.

 There are 133 something letters. Upper case and lower case letters....I took some alphabet stickers and I MOD PODGED them to the back of a glass marble. Yay! Here is how I created my little letters...I cut each individual letter to fit on the flat side of a glass marble...Then I mod podged the flat part of the glass marble. I stuck the letter on (not sticky side of the sticker). After it dried, I hot glued a magnet on.

 My intent for this is for students to use this on the large white board when they come in before school or during recesses when they are stuck in the classroom because it is too cold or snowy.
**Note the problem that I noticed was...some of the letters are little too hard to see. Kind of funny. The B in Brayden's name is actually pretty easy to see. It is the ones with orange background and pink letters. All in all, it was a great project. You can always just print them out in any font you like. I liked the stickers because of the color of the background. I am going to do more to replace the ones that are hard to see. But I figure if I keep my letters in ABC order, it will be easier for the kids...



So NOW I am thinking big time. I got bigger glass marbles and I am going to put greek and latin roots on each of the marbles. Then make up activities for them such as writing or making other words with that root in them.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave a comment..But creepy will be deleted!